• Question: How does it feel to be an engineer

Asked by Ada E to Rohinee on 21 May 2020.
    • Photo: Rohinee Pattani

Rohinee Pattani answered on 21 May 2020:

Hi Ada,

I just started my first job as a civil engineer after university less than a year ago, and so far I’d say it has been both exciting and challenging. With engineering projects, every day at work might be different and you come across many problems to solve which can be challenging and make you use your knowledge. But most of the time you work in teams, so there are always people to help you out. I like the fact that I get to learn all the time, from other people, solving new problems, or finding out about new technology.

Engineering/construction projects can often be quite big, e.g. buildings, airports, power stations. So you get to meet and work with different people and types of engineers like civil, mechanical, structural, electrical, geotechnical and it’s interesting to find out about what they do too.

For me, being an engineer is also exciting because you contribute to improving and creating new buildings and infrastructure that are used in people’s everyday lives. In particular, engineers are going to play an important role in making our society more sustainable and reducing carbon footprint for the future, so there are lots of great opportunities to look forward as well!

Comments