Royal High School (Edinburgh), University of Strathclyde (Glasgow) - with a year at Nanyang Technological University (Singapore)
Highers: (Maths, English, Physics, Chemistry, Graphic Communication) Advanced Highers: (Maths, Physics, Applied Maths)
Sainsbury's (Store Assistant), Glasgow Science Centre (Science Communicator), Intern Building Services Engineer, Intern Engineering Consultant (Construction), Graduate Aerospace Engineer, Systems Design Engineer
Systems Design Engineer
I'm an engineer working in aerospace. I love learning new things, turning ideas into reality, and rock climbing.
I’m from Scotland, but now live in Bristol with my girlfriend (who I met whilst studying in Singapore – thanks to engineering!).
I design systems for aeroplane engines in an attempt to make them more powerful, efficient, safer and greener.
Throughout the past couple years in my job I have had a few different roles, including:
- Designing a new piece of equipment to help keep the Red Arrows’ engines safe and healthy
- Thinking about what the future of aircraft engines might look like, and carrying out some of the first steps into analysing these future concepts
- Creating the cooling system for an aircraft that is hoped to soon be the world’s fastest all electric plane
- Designing and making a new piece of virtual reality equipment to help train people
- Teaching computers how to recognise patterns in data I give them so they can do my job for me!
My Typical Day: It's a bit different at the moment, as we are all now working from home!
Usually, I would get in to work between 0730-0930.
Every day is different, however most days I will catch-up with my team to understand what they have been doing and what they have planned, let the team know what I’m doing, and discuss any problems we may have.
I’ll then spend some time researching and learning new concepts, new theories and new skills (good engineering is about continuously learning and improving!).
Then I’ll use maths and physics to create models of the systems I am interested in, run tests on them, and find the best system to give the best results.
Leave work between `1600-1800.
How would you describe yourself in 3 words?
Inquisitive, Driven, Adaptable
What's the best thing you've done in your career?
Helped to design an aircraft hoped to soon be the world's fastest all electric plane
What or who inspired you to follow your career?
What was your favourite subject at school?
What did you want to be after you left school?
I never really knew, and not sure I do yet
Were you ever in trouble at school?
If you weren't doing this job, what would you choose instead?
Maybe a scientist, or a pilot, or an astronaut
Who is your favourite singer or band?
What's your favourite food?
What is the most fun thing you've done?
Scuba diving with whale sharks and manta rays
If you had 3 wishes for yourself what would they be? - be honest!
1) Create something that can make a positive change to the world, 2), To know what I wanted to work as, 3) Three more wishes...
Tell us a joke.
Why is 6 scared of 7? Because 7, 8, 9!